Many County buildings are currently closed to the public. Please visit our Online services page for resources and building information.

You are here: Home > Maintenance > Sewer Maintenance Services > Operations & Finance > Environmental Compliance > FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions

FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions

What has the County done regarding asbestos-containing materials in our building?
In 2000, Cuyahoga County approved contracts from three Environmental Consulting firms to provide comprehensive building inspections and abatement of asbestos-containing materials and/or hazardous materials in all county owned buildings. The project also included the development of Operation and Maintenance Plans for each facility to manage any remaining materials in place, and awareness training for custodial/maintenance personnel and management personnel. Two-hour OSHA Asbestos training classes for individuals who may come into contact or disturb these materials and additional Class I, Class II, and Class III training is being conducted.  

What should I do if I suspect an indoor air quality issue?

The following procedures shall be followed if you wish to report an Indoor Air Quality (IAQ) issue in a county-owned or leased building.  

  • Try to identify or isolate the source. 
  • Speak to your immediate supervisor and have him or her contact Protective Services. The information can also be forwarded to Protective Services 24 hour, IAQ Hot-line (443-2141).  Make sure all the information is accurate and correct. If the problem is determined to be an immediate health hazard, please follow Standard Operating Procedures for responding to Medical Emergencies. Employees should report all indoor air quality concerns to their immediate supervisor or Protective Services.
  • If the indoor air quality complaint is not an emergency, or does not require 911, then Protective Services should try to identify or isolate the source. The immediate supervisor or Protective Services should contact the Building Superintendent or Center Manager. The Building Superintendent or Center Manager will investigate and contact the Building Engineer(s) or Property Manager if they think they are needed to resolve the complaint.  If the complaint cannot be resolved, then contact the Public Works Indoor Air Quality Manager for assistance.
  • Once the complaint is logged to the Department of Public Works, the designated IAQ investigator (Jim May, Indoor Air Quality Manager) will assign an incident number and schedule a meeting with the immediate supervisor to investigate the complaint and issue a written report after the complaint is resolved.  

Good indoor air quality within a building requires a concerted effort by everyone who works in that building. Building management, maintenance, and housekeeping personnel cannot bear the full responsibility for good indoor air quality. All County employees can help by keeping work areas clean, adhering to the County’s “Non-Smoking” policy, familiarizing themselves with potential sources of pollutants, and taking an active part in helping to identify and correct problems. Smoking is strictly prohibited within all areas of County owned or leased buildings. Employees who violate the non-smoking policy will be subject to the same disciplinary actions that accompany infractions of other County rules.   

What about our Underground Storage Tanks?

On an annual basis the County pays its annual premium for ten (10) Underground Storage Tanks per Section 3737.91 of the Ohio Revised Code.  All Ohio petroleum UST owners are required both under provisions of federal and Ohio law to demonstrate “financial responsibility.”  Financial responsibility is the ability to pay for the costs of corrective actions (environmental clean-up) and third-party liability (bodily injury or property damage) as a result of an accidental petroleum release.  

The Ohio Petroleum Underground Storage Tank Release Compensation Board (PUSTR) consists of government and industry representatives and has the primary responsibility of administering the Petroleum Financials Assurance Fund. The “Fund” is a source of money derived from mandatory per-tank fees and is available to eligible underground storage tank owners to reimburse petroleum release clean up costs.